How to Start a Conversation in English
Hi Friends! It can be difficult for people learning a language to find a good way to start a conversation with someone they don’t know!
Of course, talking to new people is important. Not only is it the best way to make new friends, it is also a great way to learn and practice using your English!
Yet many students often find it very difficult to find the chance to talk to a local English speaker when they come to Australia or another English speaking country.
It sounds strange in a way! In Australia, there are many people who speak English, but the students find it very hard to find anyone to talk to!
Why? The answers include:
- they don’t know how to start a conversation
- they are shy or nervous about their English
- and more!
Today, I want to look at some ways to solve this problem!
ACTIVITY: I want to know about your experiences meeting native English speakers.
1. Think of someone you have met that really helped you with your English (not your teacher at school!)
2. Share with us:
- How you met them
- What you talked about when you first met them
- How did your friendship/relationship continue? What did you do?
Put your answer in the comments!